Saturday, October 20, 2007

The Skunk and the Fur Coat

When I was a young boy, I grew up on a farm in central Illinois. My dad was always bringing home animals or people were dropping them off because...well we lived on a farm. He was always bringing home dogs. Dogs were his favorite, but we also had goats, Guinea fouls (birds that roosted in trees and made noise), Shetland ponies and even a pet raccoon. I think the strangest animal though had to be the baby skunk that someone left with us.

The baby skunk was very tame and we could hand feed it. I seem to recall my dad saying that only adult skunks spray and only when they feel threatened, therefore we should not worry about the little fellow. We kept the skunk in a cardboard box until one day the little guy made a break for it and joined his pals in the wild...or so we thought.

We lived in a 100-year-old farmhouse. It was cold in the winter and hot in the summer. There were not a lot of closets for the upstairs bedrooms so I had to put some of my clothes in the small closet downstairs in the living room under the old staircase. Dad and I had our suits in that closet. The foundation of the farmhouse had a low crawlspace with one opening, a piece of circular drain tile, just big enough for critters the size of a cat. That was good because we had plenty of farm cats that kept our rats and mice to a minimum.

Okay, so why am I talking about suits in the closet of this old farmhouse and what about the escaped skunk? Well, you see, one Saturday night, after we all went to bed, one of those farm cats had a run in with...you guessed it... a skunk that decided to take up residence under the house. Our little skunk had not gone far from home.

By Sunday morning, the house reeked of skunk. It was especially bad at the center of the house right under the closet in the living room. Mom ran around opening widows, but it was too late, the damage had been done. Our suits had soaked up the wonderful aroma wafting up through the floorboards of the old house.

That Sunday, Dad had promised to take me to church for some reason (a rarity by the way, now that I think about it) and so we put on our suits (yes, we actually wore suits to church in those days) and headed off to town. The smell did not seem so bad once we were in the car driving a few miles down the road...with the windows open.

Dad and I got to church late with all the excitement back at home. The service had already started so we slipped into the pews at the very back of the church. Fortunately, they were empty so no one would be sitting next to us. Unfortunately, Joe Whaley and his wife were seated in the pew right in front of us. They were neighbors who lived just a mile up the road from our farm. Now, Joe was a short, little old man with a shiny, baldhead. His wife was a rather large woman with a brand new fur coat that Joe had proudly purchased for her. She was in her glory before God and the rest of the congregation that day. Sadly, Dad and I became the “fly in her ointment” that morning.

As the service droned on, we noticed Joe’s wife sniffing the air with disdain. She began sniffing her new coat, then she sniffed the air again. Finally, she poked her poor husband and made him smell her fur coat. Joe just shrugged and she poked him again, harder this time. This sniffing and poking went on through the rest of the service. Dad and I made a hasty exit, the first chance we got and headed back home.

I always felt bad about ducking out and not telling the old man and his wife that it was us and not the fur coat, but then I guess it was God’s way of teaching about pride in material things. Who were we to question the ways of the Lord?

Food for THOUGHT...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I would like to comment on your and your dad's despicable behavior those long years ago. I just happen to know Joe Maley and his wife Irene. Here's the rest of the story. Joe had promised Irene a mink coat if Irene would marry him. Irene accepted. Joe scrimped and saved for many years so he could buy Irene her promised mink coat. Then you and your dad sat right behind them in church and stunk up the place with your skunk tainted suits. Irene accused Joe of buying her a skunk coat that had been dyed to look like mink. Joe could not convince her otherwise. She fretted and steamed over that coat so much that their relationship turned completely negative and sour. First thing you know, Irene wouldn't fix meals for Joe, wouldn't sleep in the sam bed with him, wouldn't wash his clothes and all kinds of things like that. Joe took to drinking and became an alcoholic. Irene divorced him and married a mink rancher. The divorce shattered the psyches of their 12 children. They all turned out bad. Now, aren't you ashamed of yourself. Don't get me wrong, I think your story is very well written and is entertaining. I just thought you and your readers should know the rest of the story. By the way, you didn't live in central Illinois. You lived in northern Illinois. I lived in central Illinois, Sullivan, Illinois to be exact, halfway between Decatur and Mattoon. Now you go call Joe and Irene and apologize to them and try to get them back together. I feel so sorry for them and their poor children.

Anonymous said...

Though I anticipate that I may be called cruel, this story was funny right until the end, even considering the "aftermath" part of the tale, added by the other user. I have little sympathy for individuals who can become that upset about a coat, especially since it should have been obvious that there could have been (and in this case, there was) some other reason for the smell.

Anonymous said...

It was certainly interesting for me to read the article. Thank you for it. I like such themes and everything connected to this matter. I would like to read more soon.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Keep on posting such articles. I love to read articles like that. By the way add some pics :)

Anonymous said...

I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link