Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Drought of Good News

Every morning I wake up here in South Texas and look to see if it rained overnight. March, 2011, was the driest on record. Rain keeps my garden growing and refreshes the Earth. I fear Texas is headed for another drought much like we had two years ago. I miss the rain. I miss the ability of the Earth to refresh itself.


So too, there is a drought of good news, not just here in Texas but around the world it seems. Every morning I’m greeted with the latest on Libya and the Japanese nuclear plants spewing radiation. I hear the pundits speculating on our government about to shut down. I mean what does that mean? Our government is about to shut down?! Then of course I hear that our schools facing devastating funding cuts because of the federal and state budget crisis. I hear that we are still recovering very slowly from our economy’s near meltdown in 2009 and that the government shutdown and layoffs from budget cuts could take us right back into the worst recession in our history. I hear talk of privatizing Medicare and having to wait until I’m 70 to collect Social Security, if it still exists when I’m 70.

Everywhere I turn there is bad news and worse news and I’ve stopped watching the nightly news and can barely stand to listen to my beloved NPR. Instead, I look for diversions to take my mind off of things, diversions like work. But even my job is filled with bad news and pending crisis. Will the state take over the Alamo? Will there be layoffs and cut backs? I want to run away from all this doom and gloom. I feel so helpless against Mother Nature with her tornadoes, droughts , earthquakes, tsunamis and hurricanes, but even more helpless against our own stupid humans, leaders, politicians, greedy corporate CEO’s and their manmade disasters. Is there no relief from this drought of good news?!

We have a pill for just about everything, why not…bad news? Perhaps we could seed the clouds and force it to rain good tidings over the Earth. Life without good news, without hope of better things to come is wearing me down.

Food for THOUGHT…

1 comment:

Jim said...

Steve
I was reading books back in the 90s predicting all this mayhem. Robert Prechter of the Elliot Wave principal was my favorite. We have been in a up wave since the depression. The correction started in the late 90s and ccording to him, we have a way to go yet. If he is correct, which I have seen a lot of things that he predicted come true, then we still have a long way to go to put things back in the order they should be. Put on your seatbelt, it could get rough. Jim P.