Tuesday, March 22, 2011

~The 60 Years Project~

On November 17, 2011, I will have achieved 60 years on this tiny, green planet. There are milestones and then there milestones. I guess 60 is as good a place to stop and look at life as any. Some people decide to do something special, something daring, even dangerous to commemorate this landmark in their life, but since I’m afraid of heights (that rules out skydiving) and I’m in no shape to climb Mt. Everest. Something a little more down to earth might be in order for my 60th birthday.

I like history and I enjoy writing, so this idea began rattling around in my head as the big 6-0 approaches. What if I invited friends and family, in honor of my birthday, to write about life, their THOUGHTS, and the past 60 years? I would certainly welcome your best wishes, memories and stories about our past together, especially stories, but I don’t want to limit WHAT you write about and HOW you share it. A poem, an essay, pictures, photos, a DVD or a tape recording would all be acceptable submissions for this project.

I would be looking for both humor and insight into the human condition. What makes us who we are? What shaped us? Who were our mentors and teachers? What were your triumphs and failures, your joys and your tears? What lessons have you learned? What makes life worth living? If you have some great truth about life, share it with me. What is your take on the past 60 years on this planet? I’m after your…THOUGHTS!

I ask that you put some real feeling into what you submit for this project. I will consider your submission as a special gift, a 60th birthday present to me. I also realize that such a request might be overwhelming or intimidating for some and that is okay. Your thoughts and best wishes will always be enough of a present for me.

If you wish to participate in this project, please send your submission by my birthday 11/17/11. You may send it via e-mail to:

sortman808@aol.com (subject::  “The 60 Years Project”)

And if you need to send your submission by regular mail…contact me via e-mail for my mailing address.

I will send more reminders and suggestions later on.

Steve

No comments: